Sunday, February 4, 2018

#6 - What's In a Name Part 1

#6 - What's In a Name ~ Part 1

"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." ~ William Shakespeare
We all are familiar with this quote from Romeo & Juliet it's the first quote that comes to mind when we talk about the significance of names.  Every culture in the world places significance in naming children.  Some names are taken from totems and family trees where other cultures give names according to events that happen during pregnancy.  Even in the Christian baptism parents are asked "What name do you give your child?"  Your name becomes your whole identity.  My mother has told me how she and my birth father decided on my name, he wanted Lorraine Marie Lee while my mother wanted a simpler version of Lorraine like Laura or Lara or Lori.  My mother also wanted to have a part of her family in my name not just his.  It was settled I was named for their best friend who they thought was a fantastic mother and for my great grandmother.  I love my name I don't think I would have ever been able to fit such a sophisticated name as Lorraine Marie Lee.  My name is my identity, it's who I am, who I was meant to be.  In other word my name is my destiny.


When we first join Second Life we select an avatar to represent who we physically want to be then we choose a name.  How did you choose yours?  For me, AnneAlyce, was an easy choice.  AnneAlyce is combining my great-grandmother's and my mothers names together.  Unlike today where everyone has the last name, Resident.  When I joined we choose our last names just like our first.  I think I spent an hour looking for the right last name.  Maertens is Dutch so it was a natural choice as my RL surname is Dutch as well.


It really is to bad that Linden Labs has not re-instituted the surname for new players.  There is a sense of pride for those of us with a surname as well as a sense of belonging to a family.  Does that mean that those with the surname "Resident" don't have pride or a sense of belonging?  No!  You still have your identity of your first name.  You still are unique to Second Life as no one else can have your name.  Your SL identity is just as unique as your RL identity.  Just as individual as your fingerprints.  Take pride in knowing that you are unique and individual. 


Styling Credit
Outfit: Lorena from AnaSTyle
Boots: Willa Ankle Boots from KC Couture
Jewelry:  Opallios Rings from Moondance Boutique (2017 Advent Gift; A Full Set Is Coming Soon)
Mesh Head: Simone from LeLutka
Mesh Body: Lara from Maitreya
Skin: Jade in Chai Tone from Dulce Secrets
Eyes: LeLutka Eyes for Simone (Came with Mesh Head)
Eye Applier: Terra Firma LeLutka Applier from Dulce Secrets
Nail Appliers for Maitreya Lara: Baiastice's Yara I from Nailed It
Makeup: Eyeshadow  and Lipstick - Tahoe Sunset Applier from Dulce Secrets
Hair: Camille from Nutmeg & Entwined
Location: A Snowflake Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment